Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Single Girl practice block


I've been working on cutting out the templates for my Single Girl quilt the last couple of evenings.  It has been fun- Steve has been practicing guitar (he is self taught and recently began formal lessons) while I work on them.  I realize that some people find that kind of thing tedious, but I love it.  Maybe it takes me back to my teaching days (I taught elementary school before having babies).
  

I thought I'd make a test block, just to give it a try.  I didn't want to cut bunch of fabric for the quilt and then realize that I really didn't like it.  Or even worse, what if I really was terrible at sewing curves?  A test block was necessary, and I'm glad that I made one.  I cut into some beautiful vintage sheets from my friend Jeni and paired them with some Kona Bone leftover from my Flea Market Fancy quilt.  The creamy white compliments the pastels from the sheets perfectly.


Everything came together nicely, and I feel a little more confident with the pattern.  Now if only I could decide on the fabric, I'll be all ready to go.  I snapped these shots during the making of the block, but I ran out of sunlight before I was finished with the entire thing.  Gotta love those short winter days, hmm?

with love, Angela

25 comments:

  1. oh my goodness!! seriously LOVE THIS! i might need to re-think my favorite choice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE. I think it would be pretty hard to pick fabrics for this one! I think Sunkissed would be very nice on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying to decide on a fabric too! The vintage look is very cool, but already have a thirties print king quilt and want a brighter look. Your test block looks great Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your block ...and I saw that HigherEd was offering beginning guitar in Corry, but this time of year is a no-way for me. Can I ask how he self taught? internet? cd? library book?? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love so much! You should definitely make a pillow or something out of this block!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really, really pretty! Maybe you should make a small baby quilt out of these? That would be fun! :) ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great colours. You have sewn your block together so well. I have been thinking about creating a template to paper piece this pattern. Have you tried this? I wonder if it would be easier and cleaner than cutting and matching each piece.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's gorgeous! love the vintage sheets - you should definitely make a few more for a cute little baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Call me crazy, but I like the look with the vintage sheets. Your test block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, have you thought about using the vintage sheets for the whole thing? I really love how this block looks, and I think and entire quilt would be amazing. To me, the pattern itself has a vintage flair, so I think the sheets are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A test block is such a smart idea! It's a beautiful block!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just lovely! It's so exciting to see all the different Single Girl combos everyone's coming up with!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angela that looks lovely. The colours are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to do a test block...love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not typically a pastel girl, but your test run might make me a believer! It looks great. I'm really looking forward to giving the Single Girl a go!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The test run looks lovely! It's such a great quilt pattern - it's almost impossible to find a combination of prints that DOESN'T look good in it. And you've reminded me - I must get on and make a test block from my templates before I start madly cutting out for the actual quilt along.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, I'm loving the test run blocks. Of course I love most projects that use vintage sheets. Good luck with pick fabric for the really project.

    ReplyDelete
  18. this is giving me more confidence. Beautiful block! I think I have narrowed my fabric choice to a combo of KJR and FMF. We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh, good god. this is the sweetest version of this block i have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this, i think you need to make it with the vintage sheets!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your block! You should make the WHOLE quilt with these!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete