Friday, April 29, 2011

ten things about me.

Lots of confessing going on across the quilting blogland lately, and I thought I'd join in on the fun.  Here are a few things you probably don't know about me.

Finley and me, 9 months old


1.  I never finished my first quilt.  It is a sampler I made 10 years ago, and it is the easily the most advanced quilt that I've ever made.  It is made from cheap fabric and is partially hand quilted.  I would love to finish it up someday.  Hopefully I will share pictures soon.

2.  Garment sewing scares me.  I'm not sure why.  I am good at following directions, but for some reason I am terribly intimidated.  I am hoping to conquer this fear very soon.  I have an adorable little girl that I want to make dresses for.  I have this pattern, and some really cute Farmdale fabric from Joann's that I bought specifically for them.  That is the plan for next week.  Oh, and I really would like to make myself some cute skirts for the summer.  Any suggestions?  I want to try this AMH one.

3.  I love a fresh coat of paint, and I really need to paint my living room.  Now that my Single Girl quilt is done (I finished up the binding yesterday, yay!) I am not allowing myself to do any more quilting until itthe living room is finished.  That is saying a lot, because I really want to get back to my Hope Valley string quilt and my Habitat bowtie quilt.

4.  My relationship with God is the most important part of my life.  I wish I could write about it more on my blog, but I don't think it is the place.  I realize that my readers don't visit for that.  However, I still wish I felt comfortable writing about it in this space.

5.  Despite keeping a blog, I am a very private person.  I hope that I am never perceived as a person who has a picture perfect life.  It is not true in the least.  The truth is that I am happy and blessed, but like everyone else, I have struggles and insecurities.  These are the things that I share with my husband and a handful of my very closest friends.  Just because I choose to not make them public doesn't mean they do not exist.  It would be completely out of character and not like me at all to write about these things.  Combine that with the fact that I am a glass-half-full kinda person makes for a pretty happy blog, I think.  And I think that is okay, right?  Doesn't make me any less "real" than anyone else.  If anything, I think it means that I am being true to myself.

6.  If I could get away with it, I'd hire someone to clean my house.  I really don't like to clean.  I have a very organized house, because I don't like clutter and it stresses me out.  But trust me, it is definitely not the cleanest place you'll see.  Speaking of which, I was cleaning the bathtub yesterday.  I turned on the faucet after scrubbing the tub, and someone left the showerhead on.  Totally got soaked, and I was already dressed for the day.  Not cool.

7.  I am a very competitive person.  I don't mean to be.  It is not really a good thing.  I've been like that for as long as I can remember.  I'm also a bit of a slave driver (my husband's words, but they are true).  Once I get started on something, I work until I can't work on it anymore. Those both can be very good qualities, but also not-so-good qualities.  I'm working on them both.

8.  We are a pretty low-tech household.  We don't have any type of cable/satellite, so if we want to watch something we stick to movies.  We don't have a real cellphone either.  Just an old tracfone (which is so old it is a little embarressing) that we take with us just in case we need it.  I really need to get a newer one, cause man it is ugly. Though I have to admit, I love my Apple products.  I am very addicted to my iPod Touch and can't wait until I can get an iPad.

9.  I barely have any dressy clothes in my closest.  I had a ton when I used to teach, but that was a long time ago, before I had Weston (who is 5).  I rarely wear anything other than jeans.  I love them, American Eagle skinny jeans to be exact, because they fit me the best.  No one dresses up at the church we attend, so my closest is full of jeans, tshirts, cardigans, and a few really nice dresses for special occasions.

10.  I'm thinking about getting another tattoo.  Am I too old?  I already have two.  I'm thinking about getting one on my back, a big one.  A good friend of ours from church is an amazing tattoo artist, and he would do a wonderful job.  I'm a pretty big wimp though.  We'll see.

So there you go, a little bit about me, the real person behind the Fussy Cut blog.  I really appreciate you sharing this place with me.

with love, Angela

35 comments:

  1. wow we have a lot in common!...except the organized part...i mean i would loooove to be and am working toward it so i guess we have that partly in common. :) so could you come organize my house?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are sisters in Christ and quilters YEAY!!!

    Funny you bring up the Tshirt thing because I am wanting my closet to be more like that these days. My dressy clothes I don't always wear because I am always worried they will get too dirty or too dressy for where I am going or not going!

    Thanks for being REAL with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, except for #2, #8, and #10, we could be sisters!!! Well, and my house is a "little" cluttered, at least until it starts to drive me crazy and then I go into a cleaning frenzy and get it all clean, then set out to mess it up again..... ;-) And I think I gave my first UFO to the Goodwill long before I really got bitten by the quilting bug last year, so I hope somebody finished it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never finished my first quilt either.. I drew in the quilting design with pencil.. and it SHOWS.. so I stopped part way.. never basted it properly.. what a mess.
    if you quilt so lovely.. you need to jump on into pattern sewing those dresses.. WAAAAAAAY easier than quilting!! I've been sewing from patterns since I was like 13.. I just started quilting..go for it.. you won't regret it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love knowing little bits about the people who write inspiring blogs (creative stuff always inspires me). Your faith is shown in your fruit, chickie. That's the beautiful works of your hands (and the little ones in your life!). And if anyone judges you, just take it to God. He's bigger than them, anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps - want to know my confession? Here goes....
    I have never made a quilt. Honestly! They totally intimidate me. I HAVE made a few little dresses for my daughter (they turned out pretty cute), but I like making stuffed animals and dolls better. There ya go, a little about me! Here's my brand new crafty blog if you're interested:
    http://cadamscreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am scarred of garmet sewing too.
    ~Kimberlee, www.TheSpunkyDiva.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You should SO get another tattoo!!! I have 2 that I got when I was a teenager and think I am going to get another more "adult" one next month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love learning about people, and I totally relate to everything you said except the tattoo part (I could never do it!). Wait until you sew that sweet little dress for Finley and see how easy and cute it is. :0P There will be no stopping you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Age is unimportant after you reach the age where you are responsible for yourself. You don't have to live by anyone else's standards, but like all of us will choose those that are important to you. Tatoos are a very personal form of self expression and I wouldn't have one, but that should make no difference in your world. A few years ago some employers wouldn't hire people with visible tattoos, but most of those will now. Enjoy your life, not mine or anyone who cares about when you got a tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. One of the things I enjoy about your blog is that you are down to earth :) By the way, totally understand the whole clutter thing! As for the tattoo, I think you look pretty just the way God made you :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love this post Ang! i do really appreciate a blogger that's shows a bit of their personality behind their creations. It shows me more about them and their art and in turn... i have a better connection with it! :)

    Kiss, kiss
    H

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post. I am scared of garmet sewing too, I have a good realtionship with God, I don't do clutter either and I wish I had more dressy clothes too. I used to teach as well but now as a SAHM, I'm jeans, tshirts and sometimes skirts. Oh well. It's a pretty happy trade off.
    Thanks for sharing pieces of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i really enjoyed reading this post and finding out more about you. i am with you on a lot of things... particularly of the "c" variety... Christ, clutter, and clothes. ;)

    what do you want for your next tattoo? i don't have any ink but really would like to get a variation of this little prince drawing (maybe for my 30th birthday! i think that would be a fun way to celebrate 3 decades!): http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Z2fVFncvPXI/THTrS2297wI/AAAAAAAAAZ0/8i2UA6D63kE/s1600/LittlePrinceBirds(571x850)+(1).jpg

    i think the only change i would make is mine would be a little girl in a vintage dress. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post - so fun to know some more things about you. I'm too scared it will hurt too much to get a tattoo :-)
    And my kitchen has been half-painted for almost a year and I really don't care that much - ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow - I loved that post. Thank you so much!

    ps - you're never too old for more tattoos, I say...although I am a little biased ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 4,5,6,7--totally could have written these about myself. Love this peak into you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome post! And I agree with Katy, you're never too old for another tattoo! Sure, I'm biased, but then again, a dear friend and co-worker got her first tattoo at 60. Never let age interfere with what you want to do!

    ps--I don't have a cellphone either, much to my techy husband's dismay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great post! Thanks for sharing about you.

    I used to sew clothes ALL THE TIME, but I gave it up when Mandy was in high school. I don't even sew for Miss Natalie although I'd love to. I really doubt you'll have trouble - just start with easy stuff. It can be almost as addicting as sewing quilts. And you know where to reach me if you have a question or a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hurray, I love learning more about you! I am totally with you on the clothes thing - I have some dress up clothes from when I used to work in an office, but being a graduate student for the past two years has meant that I have reverted to jeans and cardigans (at least count I had 17, but I think there's more now).

    I too am scared of garment sewing although I'm trying to get over that because I really would love to make myself some clothes. And I'm thinking about getting another tattoo too - I'd love to have some sewing/quilting related and I already have a few ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's fun getting to know you a little better. :) Thanks so much for sharing.

    Try not to be intimidated by garment sewing. It's not harder than quilting-- it's just different. You can definitely do it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't like making clothes for myself, but for the kids it is really a lot of fun.

    I am sure your already thought of this, and I'm being Mrs. Obvious here, but you could start another blog for your thoughts about faith, with a link here so that blog friends who share your passion can click on it. I have noticed that some people have several different blogs devoted to different areas of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This was a great post. It's nice to read about your relationship with God even though you don't post about--it still comes through. And I always wanted a log cabin tattoo--someplace where it won't get distorted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a great post. love reading your blog and inspired by your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing a little bit of yourself. As someone new to blogging, I also struggle with what to put on my blog since I'm also a private person, especially issues of family, faith, relationships...I guess I mostly keep my blog to quilting and cooking and I think that's what I intended it for. I love reading your blog. Perhaps I'll have to do a little intro to myself soon too. Oh yeah, and a great blog for quick and easy tutorial for kids (especially girls clothes) is Ruffles and Stuff. Disney is so adorable and very creative! That might be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  26. love #5 :)
    glad to know you better too-
    regina

    ReplyDelete
  27. SO fun to learn a bit more about you! I am exactly like you are in that it's tough for me to be personal on my blog, esp. about my faith. I really want to make it a more welcoming place to visit...thanks for inspiring me! (And how have I not visited your blog before?! I love your stuff on Flickr!!) xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I meant "followed" your blog, not visited - I've definitely visited you before. Going in my Google Reader now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  29. i like you + you inspire me as a new blogger:D God Bless you, your home and the things you put your hands to.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Let me just say that I could have written this list about myself :) Your work is beautiful and I look forward to coming back to your blog many times over.

    ReplyDelete
  31. If you read Proverbs 31: 10-31 you will see that in verse 19 - she sews - and as you read the other verses, she takes care of her family, friends, the poor, and so much more in her life. This is a reading that we all should study and remember about who we are, who made us, and what we are to Him.
    God bless your work, sharing what you love to do and the courage to let us know you. This will be fun to work a little harder to get projects made! Love sewing clothes - I learned to do that first - just remember it is a little like "fussy cutting." What your make is what you want to show - be it a skirt, dress, shirt or quilt! What a way to start 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I just found your blog today... and I look forward to reading more! This was a great way to get to know you :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I came across your blog from pinterest. :) I love this post. It makes you a real person to those out there passing by. We have tons in common too! :) I am a Christian/stay at home mom/ex-teacher/ quilter/hater of clutter/and called a slave driver by my husband too. lol I was also intimidated by sewing clothes for the longest time. So 2 years ago I just did it. I found some easy patterns in a book called Little Girls Big Style. Helped me tons and I made so many cute dresses and skirts it opened up a whole new sewing world for me. I also struggled with my blog and what is important to share and not. And decided that when it came to God our life is to glorify Him in all that we do. So I have made it a place where I do share that part of my life. Just a personal choice for me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hello Angela, I love God too! My Children are grown. I love knitting and patchwork and generally making things. I don't know much about snow because I live in Australia. My oldest daughter lives near SF and we visited her last year. We loved it!! I bought some fat eighths of Flea Market Fancy online recently and had them sent to her. She is coming home in a few weeks for a visit. I am very much looking forward to getting something started. Other than sewing I study the Bible alot and help lead a Woman's Bible study group. I hope to keep in touch. God Bless you and your Little ones.

    ReplyDelete