Monday, May 23, 2011

finished - Habitat bowtie quilt

Hi friends!  I'm back from my little blogging break.  It was unintentional, but I was just so distracted by the nice weather the past couple of weeks.  We've spent so much time outside working on the flowerbeds, playing in the yard, riding bikes... all of those fun spring activities that have been eluding us so far due to all of the rain.  I have also been working on a couple exciting projects, and the last of those deadlines is quickly approaching.  But yay for me, they are finished ahead of time!

Back to the quilt... Remember this post?  After a marathon quilting session, I had some pretty big plans on getting the binding on this guy handsewn during the yearly crafty retreat my girlfriends and I have.  And I did!  I worked on it that Saturday from 8AM until 4PM, stopping for brunch and snacks of course.  It was the fastest I've ever bound a quilt.  I absolutely love this last step in making a quilt, and it was so fun to be able to chat with my girlfriends all day while handsewing. 

It was an enjoyable quilt to make.  After working on a more difficult quilt for quite awhile, I was ready for something fun and simple.  This was very easily and quickly cut and pieced, and I was so happy to cut in to my recently acquired Habitat fq set (purchased at Spool's online shop for those of you who asked).  These chunky bowtie blocks are cute and fun to make.  I think I'll revisit this pattern soon, but maybe I'll do some smaller 6" blocks next time! 

After a quick discussion with friends, I decided to go with an aqua solid for the binding.  It is one of my favorite colors, and I like how it frames the quilt and coordinates with the backing.

 
One of my favorite things about the quilt?  The fun mix of a classic pattern with some pretty contemporary prints.  Love that.

This is the largest project that I have free motion quilted on my machine, and I really love doing it.

quilt stats:
pattern and dimensions- 12" finished bowtie blocks, 72" x 96" overall
fabric - Jay McCarrolls' Habitat and Moda Crossweave in Natural
backing - DS Quilts fabric from JoAnn's
binding - Kona in Aqua
machine pieced and quilted in meandering pattern by me

Happy Monday!
xo Angela 

previous posts on the making of this quilt:

42 comments:

  1. Oh I just love it! I will have to try that pattern sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the natural Crossweave fabric you used. Congratulations on a beautiful quilt... your quilting looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For such a simple pattern the fabrics sure pack a punch. Great job on the top and quilting. Selina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sooo pretty! It turned out awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bow tie is one of my favs. I have plans to make it with katie jump. love you choice on the teal. very wise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That turned out so nice...I love the Moda crossweave you used!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very nice. I like the choice of the crossweave too..it's just right. I have considered a bow tie quilt but haven't gotten there yet! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cow! :) I actually pulled my Habitat out last night to do this pattern-without seeing any of your previous posts. Great minds think alike? :) Looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quilt. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely gorgeous! LOVE the crossweave paired with the Habitat...Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. its so beautiful! your choice of the natural background paired with habitat prints is impeccable. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your quilt turned out really well - it's been fun following along with your progress. Habitat is just gorgeous with the Moda crossweave. I'm looking forward to seeing what other exciting projects you've been working on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent!! Glad you got outside too. It's been raining forever here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is absolutely beautiful! I had started cutting 5.5" squares and 2.5" squares for another project, but now think i may use them for this instead. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is just beautiful. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is so gorgeous - love that aqua binding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do love the combination of the traditional blocks with the wonderful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful quilt....I love it! Love the binding color...it is a perfect choice. The fabric choice is beautiful...really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that use of the prints! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello! New to your blog and I'm totally loving all of your creations! Love your color combos. It's also nice to see that you post the stats of your finish product. I really enjoy knowing what fabrics you've used. I'm in love with this pattern btw...think I know what I'm doing with my charms of Central Park. Keep up the great work. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. so beautiful angela! I'm super jealous of this quilt, I wish I was on my bed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's beautiful! I love the aqua binding!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Pretty!! Turquoise was definately the right choice for the binding. Binding is also one of my favorite steps. You can interact with others AND really look at all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this one! Definitely one of my faves!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks great! Count me in with the habitat bowtie lovers! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Angela its so gorgeous! I really need to get me some Habitat!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love how very fresh this quilt looks - great match of contemporary fabric and old pattern! Now I am tempted to try some bow ties too...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! I love this quilt so very much! The aqua really is fabulous and the perfect binding. I've been checking your blog regularly to see the finished quilt and am so excited for you that it turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is gorgeous. It has so much depth. My favorite of yours so far.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I like it very much! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This looks great! I have a vintage bowtie quilt that i've thought about copying in new fabrics, this is the kind of push I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your bowties!!! Fabulous finish.

    And so huge - any tips on stippling such a large quilt. I have trouble when I don't have a side that is under about 65". That middle section is a killer.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Man oh Man do I LOVE this quilt! From the moment I saw you putting it together, I knew it would be a favorite of mine. Congrats on the finish, aqua is always a great finisher!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm in love with this line and this quilt! amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. LOVE that binding color! and the quilt rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Did you use the same color thread on the top and the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  37. ksrn - yep, I almost always use the same color thread in top and bottom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is so lovely. I love the binding color. I fear that I am terrible at selecting fabric for quilts! I'm having a festive tutorial and giveaway tomorrow - I hope you will be able to join in.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Found your blog recently and have had such fun getting caught up! You do such lovely work. Was there a specific pattern that you followed for this bowtie quilt? I'm new to sewing and have never seen this pattern before but I'm in love!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Magnífica!!!


    abraços de Maria Filomena

    ReplyDelete