Thursday, August 22, 2013

Briar Rose

Some fabrics are just so pretty that I can't bear to cut into them without properly photographing them first.  That is definitely the case with Briar Rose, the latest line from Heather Ross.  In case you haven't noticed, I am a big fan of her work.  I even went to sew with her and Denyse in Vermont a few years back!  Best weekend ever.  Anyways, I purchased this lovely stack of Briar Rose the week it came out.  My favorites are the ones in that bottom photo: the strawberries, honeycomb, and then that pretty red/orange one.
briar rose - on a whim
briar rose - on a whim
briar rose - on a whim
I don't always have a plan for the fabrics that I buy, but I totally did with these ones.  Remember the On a Whim quilt I made last summer?  It was a gift for a friend, and I've wanted to make it again ever since.  I adore that pattern, which is by Camille Roskelley.  I think that it is the perfect way to display special fabrics like these.  This time around I used Essex yarn dyed linen in flax and Kona PFD white along with Briar Rose.
briar rose - on a whim
briar rose - on a whimbriar rose - on a whim
An impromptu quilt along was formed over on Instagram after Camille decided to make a matching Briar Rose On a Whim quilt, too! It is so fun!  I love seeing all of the different versions.  If you are on IG, you can see them all under #onawhimquilt, and I'm @fussycut if you haven't found me there yet.  Come join us!  xo, A

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt pattern. And the Heather Ross fabrics are too sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect. Thank you for letting me copy you! It makes me so happy that we will have twin quilts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I think the smaller scale of the prints work great with the On a Whim pattern. Good match up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pattern is another great one by Camille. And I love your fabric choices, especially the linen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this, I saw Camilles too and they are both gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful and I love the linen with the pretty prints!! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your On A Whim:) Do you prewash your Essex before using? I have a few yards and one of my quilting friends said I should prewash. I never do that! Just wondering what your thoughts were.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got my bundle just before we moved house and it was one of the first few bundles of fabric I unpacked. Kept petting it :) Your quilt is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It seems a perfect setting for the fabric! It's always hard to choose what to do with something special, but I think you did wonderfully here. I love the neutral backgrounds, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your quilt is sooo beautiful! now i feel so tempted too! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this is so gorgeous Angela! It seems you a tempting quite a few people in making this quilt, great work!! ;) I know what you mean about taking fabric photo's before cutting them up too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these fabrics combined with the white and grey - really sets the florals out - great choice - the quilt is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love to buy this quilt! I hope it pops up in your store someday. My 4 year old has your Little Apples quilt on her bed, and my newest addition is also a little girl and this quilt would be perfect. I'm not a quilter, just a fan. :)

    ReplyDelete