Wednesday, December 18, 2013

finished quilt - Briar Rose

Briar Rose - On a Whim Briar Rose - On a Whim Briar Rose - On a Whim
Oh, Heather Ross fabrics get me every time. I love Briar Rose, it is the sweetest line. I knew before I purchased a FQ set that I was going to use it to make another On A Whim quilt. It is the perfect pattern to display and focus on each individual print, rather than mixing them up together. I used yarn dyed Essex to set off the colors, I am a big fan of the soft neutral tone of flax. Texture is really my thing, and Essex adds the perfect amount.

This was an especially fun quilt to make. After Camille decided to make an identical one with me, an impromptu instagram quilt along began. The quilting community on IG is so great, in case you don't already know that. :) Anyways, a bunch of ladies sewed along and made their own beautiful On A Whim quilts, it was fun to see all of the different colors and fabrics. This is my second one, remember my first? I already want to make another!
Briar Rose - On a Whim Briar Rose - On a Whim Briar Rose - On a Whim
quilt stats
fabric: Briar Rose by Heather Ross, Flax yarn dyed Essex, Kona PFD
backing and binding: Cloud 9 from JoAnn's
pattern: On a Whim by Thimble Blossoms
quilting: meandering pattern by me
dimensions: approx. 70" x 70"

You can find this quilt for sale in my shop. I just finished up a custom quilt order yesterday, which was so fun. I don't take as much custom work as I used to, and I really enjoyed this one. I am a pretty selfish sewer, and I really like to sew what I like, so it was good for me to step out of my comfort zone and use colors that I don't typically use. Now that it is done, I'm ready to get back to my norm though... I have a Chicopee quilt that is ready to baste!!! You know how I feel about Denyse Schmidt fabric. xo, A

PS - I had the worst time trying to capture the colors of the beautiful fabric in photos due to the dreary winter weather we've been having. Be sure to visit these old posts to see clearer pictures of the true colors!

previous posts on the making of this quilt:
Briar Rose
almost there!

16 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing here, because I keep resisting IG, I don't know why. I feel the same way about Denyse, and Chicopee is one of my favorite, so I look forward to seeing the next finish too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply lovely. Great pattern with perfect fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really beautiful quilt. I'm going to make On a Whim with some Far Far Away fabric. Sometime. Maybe January...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful, I love how the essex compliments the heather ross prints

    ReplyDelete
  5. so, so, SO gorgeous Angela! Beautiful quilting for a beautiful quilt :)
    merry Christmas to you, xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty! I really like the backing fabric as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. really beautiful! and I'm always impressed with people who sell their quilts, so much work, but as long as you love doing it right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely but I'm wondering how it would look with the white 'background' continued to complete the 'square' into the border!?? Maybe an idea for the third one?

    Anyway both your whim quilts are gorgeous and well done for making such quick quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I really love how those cheery Briar Rose prints pop against the neutral solid background fabrics, and the backing fabric is perfect, too.

    I've been struggling with a pieced block that has those squares inside a square (don't know the actual name for it, but you have those units in your blocks on this quilt) and they are making me NUTS! When I try to do them by laying a small square over the corner of the larger square, sewing on the diagonal, and then trimming 1/4" from the seam, I end up with a unit that doesn't come out exactly the right size. I wish I knew another way to do this unit. Meanwhile, I put this block in Time Out in the sewing room so it could think about its bad behavior while I take a cookie break. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have such talent with combining fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Can i ask specifically what the backing fabric is? It's Cloud 9 at Joann's?? I didn't know Joann's carried Cloud 9. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete